Friday, September 3, 2010

A Stone's Throw Away From..

Shouts..angry shouts..shouts that made your blood boil even more with rage or could make your skin crawl with fear depending on which side you stood.

Till a week back,Azhar could never have imagined being one of 'them',"the disgruntled unemployed misguided youth" as they were portrayed by most.

The face that lit up on seeing anyone,was today covered in a mask;the hands that healed,were today willing to hurt;the dream of seeing peace prevail one day,replaced by a simple lust for revenge,and then Dr.Azhar Siddiqui thought,"Shit happens!".

And yet he couldn't escape thinking,"How did it all come to this?"

Another crowd,another cacophony of angry shouts;Iftikar Chacha had died in an accident with a police vehicle.

All we wanted was an inquiry into the incident.

Amin,Anam's little brother,all of 7,and just like a kid his age would do,nagged his Ammi into letting him join us in the procession moving towards the police station.Somebody stopped us as we neared the place,all we could hear at the back were snippets of an argument.Tempers flared,somebody throws a stone,a couple of gunshots and it's commotion all around.

"Amin!Stay with me!",I yelled without looking,as I felt his grip on my hand changing,and when I looked at him,those words had no meaning anymore.

He lay on the ground,his small hands unable to cover the large blood spatters on his kurta.


I stand infront of Anam,my head down.We buried Amin an hour ago.

"Azhar,look me in the eye."

I slowly lift my gaze to meet hers.

"I know what they are planning to do,you are not going to be a part of it;it isn't right!"

I flare up,all the guilt,anger,frustration comes out,"Wrong and right can only be decided by might."

She shakes her head and simply says,"When will this end,Azhar?When?"


And here I am,with a stone and a choice on my hand,a legacy and a so-called enemy infront of me.

And why are they an enemy?Would I have done something different in their place,surrounded by an angry crowd which could have turned violent anytime?Maybe.But how can I condemn someone's action if I am not sure what would my reaction be?

My anger,my hurt is justified;violence?I guess not.Though it is the easiest and probably the most satisfying way to react to hurt,but is it the best?Probably not.

Yes I might be able to hurt one or two of them,I might create a stir in their ranks but is it going to bring a change to the human instinct for survival when cornered?Definitely not.

So how is what I am doing,going to stop what happened from happening again?

And then I thought of Anam,the hopelessness on her beautiful face.Anam,I know,I know,how this is going to end!Atleast for once,somebody has to learn to forgive.

The arm which was ready to hurl,relaxes;the tightly held stone,falls out of Azhar's hand.

He only wishes that he could have realized it when his heart was shattered by grief and not by a bullet,but what he regrets most is not being able to share his epiphany with Anam.He hopes that God judges him well for these final moments.He removes the mask and smiles his last smile.


Today as Azhar's funeral procession moves away from his house,Anam looks at it from her doorstep,covers her face,picks up a stone lying on the ground and starts walking the other way.



Wrote it a couple of months back(before Lamhaa released!),have tried my best to be non-judgemental coz anybody who is not in that situation,doesn't have a right to judge those who are.

13 comments:

  1. u is best when u is sarci....:0

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess u mean sarcasm?Damn..u r surely not a woman then..what good is a secret male admirer?! :'(

    P.S-I know that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird people do exist , my dear BloggerBoy..:)..Women do love sarcasm, so long as it is not directed at them ..:)...O and I just took a "are u a man/woman' personality test..thankfully, it confirmed I was a woman....so I guess the Karan Johar hater (or secret admirer??) in you could take a rest...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You needed a personality test to confirm that you are indeed a woman?!What has the world come to!

    P.S-Secret admirer..he made me conscious of what a guy needs to stay away from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sumtimes need 'kicks' to verify my 'real' existence too..t tests r just a (fake) totem..And what is this..you is a secret admirer of KJo..no wonder you (sumtimes) rite senti-mushy type of stuff...and it took a KJo to make u "conscious of what a guy needs to stay away from! "...what has t world come to?...:)

    P.S: U P.S a lot huh :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey c'mon..did u know when u were born that lesbianism was something not normal?!u learn from society!
    As for the mushy stuff,I can assure that no male is my muse and I am as straight as 180 degrees

    The P.S according to me stands for Potshot which I just can't resist taking.

    As to ur identity,I know now that ur on facebook..dats 1 clue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What on earth made you think I am on facebook???..just curious to know...I once had a facebook/orkut profile whose password is now forgotten/account deleted...dude I only exist on Linked In..

    and as far guessing my identity is concerned, I can assure you that you won't even come close to it...I have seen you only a couple of times myself and I don't even know if my presence was registered :) (aapke train wale girlfriend ke khayalon mein khoe hue honge :))

    LOL at 'I can assure that no male is my muse and I am as straight as 180 degrees'....you are straight alright(thanks to KJo who convinced you that Gay-dom was not worth it :)..God Bless kJo...:))))..

    n pls don't take potshots at gareeb beings like me, who don't even own a facebook profile....:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh..Linked In haa..so then you are someone who's working.Got another clue!

    And if you disclose who you are,that'll help me in registering you :D

    and honestly a Facebook account is free of cost,so gareeb ppl like u can also own 1 :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. itna jaldi disclose kar diya toh where's the mazaa???.I prefer being an Amelie you see..:)..(you've watched the movie right?)...and yeah, i work in the same org as you do...and where are you aaj kal ???(folks tell me you are not to be seen- you see, although i am 'in' the same org, I am 'not in' the same org)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wooo..that 1 was tougher than the toughest of CAT RC's that I've done so far.

    Fine Ms Amelie(Mr Amla,I still haven't given up on my doubt),you can enjoy your anonymity as long as you wish to;my mommy told me not to talk to unknown people!

    ..and thanks for mentioning Amelie,it's a movie I have to watch though I know what it's about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ufff..what can i do to convince you that no Jat-Amla-pagal-deewana???.......

    I am Amelie Kumari from the South Of the Vindhyas(see another clue..:)..from the land of Rajni to be precise), born n brot up in the land called Bom-bahai, who did her engineering from a TSEC-like college...(clues upon clues :))
    who also thinks this boy called Ashish Tickoo cud turn out to b an interesting ( and hopefully single) dude..... but no he finds it damn difficult to believe that he could be a Nino Quincampoix for some folks???....:).....why why why whyyyyy doubt karte kaiko tum????....:)))

    P.S: Do watch Amelie...it rocks..u wud especially love it if u are a no-sibling sort of chap who kind of led a lonely childhood.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. n boy.. meliked the earlier template better...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Telling ur name n where have I met you would surely help to convince me.

    As for the clues,I am no Sherlock Holmes,no matter how much I want to be after Robert Downey Jr played him

    Oh trust me,a number of women have had that same idea,only to be disappointed :)

    As for the blog template,although I know the previous was better,but it was not stimulating me creatively anymore..translated from an artist's language i was simply bored of it ;)

    ReplyDelete